Saturday, January 1, 2011

With Sprinkles

New Year's Eve was a peaceful experience. Sitting under the San Francisco Centre's beautiful dome looking at the twinkling light strings and snowflakes cascading down we watched the other passing movie-goers stop to take pictures and have quiet conversations. Listening to the last of this season's holiday music while drinking coffee and catching up on the past and dreaming up future possibilities we waited to go in to see the film "Somewhere." The almost empty, closed mall and the tenor of the people passing through solidified a feeling that I hope will continue through the coming year.

After the film my friend and I made our way down to the Embarcadero from the Centre. We gauged the countdown by our phones and may not have caught it at just the second that the new year came upon us, but it did not matter. The new year's first embrace and well wishes were shared and we continued on towards the crowd down by the water. The not-so-distant roar of fireworks filled the sky and we were two blocks out of view as the finale went up--it didn't matter. Rain began to fall as if it had held out just for the festivities. And as it fell the people made their way back to the BART stations. We walked back, hopped the first train and in the car at North Berkeley bart we ate donuts with sprinkles for a good year and began making our twelve wishes with twelve grapes. A perfect end to a long year and a peaceful start to what will be a wonderful one.

Here is to an absolutely calm, positive and love filled 2011.

Among my goals this year are themes of creativity, perseverance and change. I'm looking at it this way: If I concentrate on the things that I find satisfying and if I persevere at making those things the focal point of my time then it will lead me in the right direction. It will help me to become the change I wish to see in my life and it will keep my soul positive and hopeful through the process.

No comments: